PREVENT CHILD ABUSE AMERICA, founded in 1972, is focused on changing the way our nation thinks about prevention, focusing on community activities and public policies that prioritize prevention right from the start to make sure child abuse and neglect never occur. PCA works to ensure the healthy development of children nationwide while recognizing that child development is a building block for community development and economic development.
Based in Chicago, Prevent Child Abuse America has chapters in 48 states and is the only organization in the United States whose sole mission is “to prevent the abuse and neglect of our nation’s children.”
Georgia State University’s Center for Healthy Development, directed by Dr. John R. Lutzker, houses PCA Georgia, a state chapter of Prevent Child Abuse America. Prevent Child Abuse Georgia, directed by Julia Neighbors, is partially supported by a grant from the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services, Office of Prevention and Family Support.
PCA Georgia provides statewide direction to promote healthy children and develop strong families through:
- Prevention Network – Building a statewide network of individuals, families, agencies, and communities dedicated to preventing child abuse and neglect in all its forms.
- Public Awareness – Increasing public awareness about child abuse and neglect prevention through training and education, information dissemination, and statewide events.
- Prevention Programs – Encouraging the development and implementation of innovative prevention programs using research-based models.
- Research – Conducting and disseminating academic and community-based research to guide the development of policies, programs and services which will enhance the health and well-being of Georgia’s children and their families.
- Advocacy Activities – Informing public policy, programs, and practices that strengthen families and protect children by regularly imparting information regarding child abuse prevention research, initiatives, legislation, and campaigns.
Please join us in our efforts to protect Georgia’s children. Anything you do to support kids and parents can help reduce the stress that often leads to abuse and neglect.PCA GA Informational Fact Sheet